Information for Educational Agents
Ratcliffe College was established in 1847 and is a co-educational Catholic independent school based in Leicestershire that welcomes students of all faiths from the ages of 3-18 years (boarding from the age of 9 years.)
We have had international students studying at Ratcliffe for over 50 years and are very experienced in dealing with overseas families and educational agents from around the world. We hope you will consider sending your students/children to Ratcliffe and we think that the experience of coming to Ratcliffe is life changing for many children. If you get the opportunity to come and visit us here at Ratcliffe we would love the opportunity to show you our wonderful school and campus. For any further information or questions about sending your child to Ratcliffe please contact Miss Kelly Smith (Registrar) via email at email@example.com or by telephone on +44 1509 817031.
A British Education – reason to study in the UK
- Over ½ million students come to the UK every year which represents over 40% of all the world’s students who travel abroad to study or to improve their English.
- Britain is the home of the English Language and is renowned for the high quality of its educational system.
- Britain’s A-Level system is recognised as a high quality benchmark throughout the world and students who study in the UK are far more likely to get a place at a UK university
- The quality of teaching in schools and universities is regularly inspected by Government bodies to ensure standards are maintained
- UK universities are regularly voted as some of the best universities in the world
- The UK is an exciting and diverse place to live. It well placed for travelling and exploring mainland Europe and compared to some other countries it is relatively safe.
Why choose Ratcliffe?
At Ratcliffe College we focus not only on academic excellence but also on providing the skills and qualities that will ensure our students go on to be successful and confident individuals at whatever they do. Students at Ratcliffe can participate in a wide variety of extra-curricular activity with over 50+ clubs and societies to choose from. It is often the skills learnt in these activities that help students to form the characteristics that they need to be successful in their future careers.
We are situated on a beautiful 200 acre campus offering a safe and secure environment for our many overseas resident students. We are located within 30 minutes’ drive of several top-class universities including Leicester University, Loughborough University, De Montfort University and Nottingham University.
Situated in the heart of England (The Midlands) Ratcliffe College is well located for airports with the M1 and M42 motorway links bringing both Birmingham Airport (1 hour) and East Midlands Airport (30 minutes) within easy reach, while London-Heathrow and London-Stansted Airports are also within reasonable travelling distance by car (1-2 hrs.)
Access by train is equally easy as the College is only 20 minutes’ drive from Leicester’s railway station, with its regular services to London (travel time as low as 1 hour 5 mins).
- Ratcliffe provides first-class academic teaching in small classes
- In 2015 75% of our A-Level students achieved A*AB or better
- 88% of Ratcliffe students achieved their first choice university in 2015 with 60% going on to the elite Russell Group universities (http://russellgroup.ac.uk/about/ )
- Assessing the School’s examination results, using value-added measures, helps us to judge exactly how good these results are, taking into account the prior achievement of students prior to commencing their ‘A’ Levels or GCSEs.
- Basically, Value Added data tells us if students reach their full potential. For ‘A’ levels, an independent company called ALPS (www.alps-va.co.uk) measures our performance.
- Based on our students’ GCSE performances, our students have been in the top 10% by A-level and AS-level for the last three years.
- In 2015, we were in the top 1% for our AS results. We can, therefore, say with absolute confidence that our students reach their full potential academically at Ratcliffe College.
Independent School Inspection Report 2015 – rated Ratcliffe ‘excellent’ in all categories
Ratcliffe College is regularly inspected by the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI). This is the body approved by the UK Government’s Department of Education for the purpose of inspecting schools belonging to Independent Schools Council (ISC) Associations and reporting on compliance with independent school regulations.
In March 2015 a team of ten inspectors from the Independent Schools Inspectorate spent four days examining every aspect of school life and gave it an ‘excellent’ rating. You can read a summary of their findings at http://ratcliffe-college.co.uk/why-choose-ratcliffe/school-inspections/
You can download and read the complete report at: www.isi.net/schools/6822/
Top 100 Independent Co-Ed Boarding School http://ratcliffe-college.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Ratcliffe-College-Award.pdf
Overseas families, wishing to enter at Preparatory School age must visit the School, in person, and their child be interviewed on a face to face basis. The assessment can then, also, be carried out under our supervision.
Senior School (11-18 year olds)
Entry is normally at 11+ and 13+ (when an additional form of entry is admitted) and to the Sixth Form, but a small number of places may be available for entry to other years if there are vacancies.
11+, 12+, 13+, 14+ entrance examinations are held on a Saturday morning in the first half of the Spring Term prior to entry in September. Papers are set in English, Mathematics and Non-Verbal Reasoning.
In general, applicants will be interviewed and entry will also be based on successful performance in GCSE (or equivalent examinations).
Applicants should obtain at least six GCSE passes at B grade or better including English and Mathematics. For any subject to be studied in the Sixth Form, applicants should have at least GCSE grade B in that subject (or, for subjects not taken at GCSE, at least grade B in related GCSE subjects). Further to this, GCSE grade A or A* is normally required in order to study the following subjects in the Sixth Form: Mathematics, Sciences, Languages and English Literature.
Non-Native Speakers of English from Overseas
It is strongly recommended that overseas applicants should provide an IELTS or ESOL examination certificate to confirm their ability in English language. In addition, students may be tested in subjects such as Mathematics and Science. Please contact the Registrar, for further details (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Information on Fees
For information on Deposits and Termly Fees please see the link below
Download our Prospectus
To see an electronic version of our School Prospectus please see the link below
Key contacts and visits
You are most welcome to arrange a visit to Ratcliffe with your son/daughter on a normal school day, when there will be tour of the School accompanied by a senior student and an individual meeting with the Headmaster. For more information please contact:
Miss Kelly Smith – Registrar
Mrs Helen Brady – Assistant to the Registrar
Telephone: +44 1509 817031 / 817072